OSUB Plus Kit Intro
SMOK just keeps on producing more kits. Not everything this year has been stellar, but they nailed it with this one. It’s priced at ~$65 which is fair for what you get, but that is based on the market right now. It makes me a little ill thinking about the price I used to pay for gear that couldn’t hold a candle to this.
The OSUB Plus Kit featuring the Brit Beast tank is the 80W/TC big brother to the OSUB 40W, and the Brit Beast is the more-power-hungry version of the Brit Flavor Tank. It’s a really nice kit, but there are still some things you should know. Let’s get to the review and see what’s what with the OSUB Plus kit.
OSUB Plus Kit Gallery
OSUB Plus Kit Specs and Features
OSUB Plus specs
- Dimensions: 75mm by 54.5mm by 22mm
- Integrated 3300mAh Battery Capacity
- Wattage Output Range: 1-80W
- Voltage Output Range: 0.8-9V
- Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.6ohm
- Temperature Control Range: 200-600F
- Supports Ni200
- and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
- High Quality Zinc Alloy Construction
- Intuitive OLED Side Screen
- Stealth C-Shaped Lateral Firing Bar
- Two-Button Adjustments
- Intelligent Atomizer Recognition
- Overheat Protection
- Puff Monitoring System
- 12 Seconds Cut-Off
- Overheat Protection
- Short-Circuit Protection
- Low Battery Warning
- 510 Connection
Brit Beast specs
- 24.5mm Diameter
- 3.5mL Juice Capacity
- Superior Stainless Steel Construction
- Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
- Flavor-Focused Design
- Threaded Top-Fill Method
- Top Dual Adjustable Airflow System
- Bullet Widebore Drip Tip
- 510 Connection
The OSUB Plus has 80 watts of power, TC settings for Ni, Ti, and SS with adjustable TCR, and a non-removable 3300 mAh battery. The temp range is 200F-600F (100C-315C). There are also a heat settings for soft, min, max, hard or normal. Watts are adjusted in .1- or 1-watt increments, either by clicking the firing bar once (.1) or holding it (1 watt). It’s firmware upgradeable via a USB-port on the bottom display side of the mod. Unlike the OSUB 40W, you won’t have to remove the firing bar to access it.
The firing bar on the OSUB is not like the firing bar on the X Cube series. It has a very short throw (little effort to click) and the clickable portion is about 3/4 of the entire bar, starting from the top going down. The +/- buttons are little ball bearings are easy to use and feel.
The entire body is stout but hefty. It’s comfortable to hold in the hand being that it’s built on a c-frame. And the firing bar is polished which has an amazing contrast to the matte finish of the zinc alloy body. Lastly, the atomizer platform is 24 mm in diameter, which makes the Brit Beast sit flush and look clean.
Things to know
- The instruction manual is all clearly laid out and easy to read. The interface is slightly advanced, but just using it out of the box with normal coils it is simple to use.
- The button is so responsive and easy to click, it would behoove you to always activate the lock either by pressing the +/- buttons simultaneous, or quickly pressing the fire button five times. Be careful with this. I would not put this is my pocket without locking the firing button.
- The layout feels like it was made for a left-handed individual. No big deal though. The screen display can flip if you want, so that helps.
- If you do flip the screen (through the settings option), your plus minus buttons will reverse. This is a bit odd to get used to. Up will subtract and bottom will add watts.
- The battery seems at first like it’s a quick charge, jumping to 46% after 26 min, but it took three hours and 15 minutes for the battery to get to 81% (then I fell asleep).
Brit Beast tank
The Brit Beast is a flavor and vapor producing machine! It is a top-fill tank with 2 mL of juice capacity and a V-shaped drip tip. The tank isn’t the most wide open for max air, but it’s comparable to the Baby Beast. The Brit Beast has two 1.5 mm x 12 mm air-slots controlled by a removable ring. And you fill the tank by unscrewing the V-shaped drip tip. The coils that come with the Brit Beast are Baby Beast compatible. Installed is a V8 Baby-Q2 Core (0.4-ohm dual coils) coil that SMOK recommends using at 55-65 watts.
Things to know
- Removing the drip tip at first can be a major PITA. To unscrew it, I recommend using rubber gloves (like dishwashing gloves) to get some grip. There is no knurling or anything. Maybe SMOK should ship without the tip on or use reverse threading.
- Always close the airflow slots while re-filling. If you don’t liquid will come out of the airflow slots and make a mess.
- After refilling, the coils may be spitty, but it goes away quickly.
- The draw is nice but it can be a bit loud.
- Adjusting the airflow slots can be hard since there is nothing to grab onto. It’s best to set it and leave it (aside from when refilling).
- Since the tip screws on, you will not be able to use your own. Do not lose this tip. There is only one included.
- Because this is a kit targeting vapers coping with TPD, there is only 2 mL of juice capacity. The tank can drink juice. Carry juice with you.
Feels very comfortable in the hand
Awesome to use the fire bar
Loads of options
Nice clicky button
Short throw to the button
Fantastic flavor with the Brit Beast
Baby-Beast compatible coils
Sleek and simple design to the tank
Feels like a left-handed mod
A bit heavy
Need to lock the mod before pocketing
Spitty after refill
Difficult to refill
Can be clumsy to install a new coil
This kit performs and looks incredible. I have never considered SMOK products to be such “lookers”, but this mod is different. I would never imagine it only costs $50, and that includes the tank! Great value.
The OSUB Plus Kit is a nice kit with a couple minor quirks. Even still, this is an easy recommendation for those in the market for this kind of kit.