Best RDTA's of 2017
- Glass tank
- 10 mL juice capacity
- 510 threading connection
- Two big airflow control slots on the sleeve
- New air intake screen design to both improve flavor and reduce the effects of coil spitting
- Enhanced juice flow design for more accurate juice supply and ease of assembly 10 mL juice capacity as standard incorporating a modular design for optional 5 mL and 20 mL kits
- wide bore chimney and friction fit drip tip
- Spacious postless build deck with capacity for coils of over 6mm internal diameter
- The uncompromising Aromamizer flavor experience
The Aromamizer was one of the first rebuildable atomizers to take the title of an RDTA and is still one of the best RDTA’s to this day. Today we have the Aromamizer Plus RDTA which is a 30mm beast of a tank that can hold up to 20 mL of juice! It also has a postless deck which can hold coils with an inner diameter of up to 6mm.
One of the main things that has been enhanced from the original Aromamizer RDTA’s is the airflow. Other improvements include added juice flow control, which is becoming standard on most rebuildable tanks, and less condensation than any of the previous Aromamizer RDTA’s.
The Aromamizer Plus RDTA is massive, but can be converted to be either a 5 mL tank, 10 mL tank or a regular RDA, by using the extension kit. Last but not least, the new airflow intake screen helps to not only improve flavor, but also reduces spitback.
- Available Color: Black
- Material: Glass
- Stainless Steel
- Tank Capacity: 2.5
- Thread: 510
The original Wotofo Serpent make quite a splash by striking the perfect balance between flavor and cloud production. The Serpent RDTA brings that same great flavor in an RDTA-style device. Made of stainless steel, the Wotofo Serpent RDTA uses Goon-esque clamps on your coil build.
Just like the RTA version, the Serpent RDTA is specifically designed for single coil use only. You can fit macro coils with an inner diameter of up to 3.5mm inside. The vapor production is also quite impressive for a single coil atomizer. The Serpent RDTA is for flavor chasing single coilers.
The Wotofo Serpent is a 22mm device, which are becoming extinct these days. The dual fill ports are very easy to use. The side airflow design feeds air straight down to the coils which maximizes flavor. Last but not least, the Wotofo Serpent RDTA is extremely resistant to leaking.
- 304 SS
- Diameter:24 mm
- Capacity:3.5 mL
- Height:48.5 mm
- Delrin Top Cap And Drip Tip
- Peek Insulator
- Borosilicate Glass Tube
- Elegant Hollowed-out Logo
- Easy to wick and refill
The Augvape Merlin RDTA is a 24mm RDTA that does exceptional in the flavor department. It has a large, two-post deck so it can fit coils with an inner diameter larger than 3.5mm. The Merlin RDTA gives you the option of pulling the top cap off, or unscrewing the whole top portion.
The most unique feature is the Augvape Merlin RDTA’s self-sealing design. It uses a sealing rod which is connected to the top piece, which seals off the device when it is closed. You will get little to no leakage, provided that you use a generous amount of cotton in its large juice wells, despite that it uses a bottom-airflow system.
The Augvape Merlin RDTA is for flavor chasers who want something classy, but built like a tank.
- Type: Rebuildable Atomizer
- Material: Acrylic
- Stainless Steel
- Tank Capacity: 3.0 mL
- Thread: 510
- Overall Diameter: 25 mm
The Medusa RDTA by Geekvape is more deceiving than the goddess herself. When you first look at her, she looks like a dripper, but is actually an RDTA. Instead of having a glass tank, the Medusa utilizes a large reservoir, underneath the deck, that can hold up to 3 mL of juice.
The Geekvape Medusa RDTA is 25 mm in diameter and features side airflow control. It’s low profile design gives it a unique aesthetic, and helps to condense the vapor which contributes to its great flavor. Other notable features include a velocity style deck with huge post holes and a locking mechanism that holds your top cap in place.
Think of the GeekVape Medusa RDTA as an RDA on steroids, that can hold a boat load of juice, making it their most innovative and best RDTA since the Avocado…
- Weight: 80 g
- Dimensions: 7 x 7 x 3.5 cm
- Color: black
The Bombertech Driptank aka the Pindad is a 22 mm RDTA with features that make it stand out from the many other RDTA’s out there. For example, it has a liquid injection fill port that is a breeze to use and comes squonk-ready, so there are two different ways to fill the 2 mL tank.
The gold-plated velocity style deck with large post holes makes for easy building. The top cap is secured by a unique locking mechanism. The Bombertech Driptank is a flavor machine for lovers of rebuildable dripping tank atomizers, whether they want to build single or dual coils.
- Model: RDTA Box MINI 100W
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Zinc Alloy
- Mod Type: Temperature Control Mod
- VV/VW Mod
- APV Mod Wattage Range: 51-100W
- APV Mod Wattage: 100W
- Temperature Control Range: 200 - 600 Deg.F
- Battery Capacity: 2600mAh
- Connection Threading of Battery: 510
- Tank Capacity: 6.0 mL
- Atomizer Resistance: 0.25 ohm
The iJoy Limitless RDTA was one of the first to bring RDTA’s to the mainstream. iJoy has taken that a couple steps further with the new RDTA Box Mini in terms of mass appeal. It comes with premade, disposable coil heads, and a separate velocity style deck to build your own coils on.
The iJoy RDTA Box Mini also gives you the option of using your own atomizer with the mod. It has a built in 2600mAh lipo battery and is capable of reaching up to 100W. The RDTA Box Mini is an all-in-one solution for vapers who want an ergonomic, portable device with great flavor.
Note: The atomizer on the RDTA Box Mini is essentially a miniature version of the original iJoy RDTA. Both of them are based on the iJoy Classic and some of the best RDTA vapes around.
- All-In-One Design
- Dimensions: 129 mm by 50 mm by 9 mm
- 9 mL Built-in Skyhook RDTA Tank
- Dual High-Amp 18650 Batteries - Sold Separately
- Wattage Output Range: 6-220W
- Voltage Output Range: 0.35-8V
- Min Atomizer Resistance: 0.06ohm
- Temperature Range: 200-600F
- Supports Ni200 Nickel / Titanium and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
- Premium Stainless Steel Construction
- Enlarged 0.96 Inch OLED Display Matrix - Highly Intuitive
- Stealth Firing Bar Mechanism - Stunning Colors
- Ergonomically Placed Adjustment Buttons
- Micro USB Port
- Available in Silver / Black / Blue / Red / Gold / White
- 9 mL Juice Capacity
- Superior Stainless Steel Construction
- Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
- Enlarged 23.2 mm Build Deck
- Floating Velocity-Style Design - Two-Post Dual Terminal
- 2.5 mm Diameter Terminal Posts
- Single Coil or Dual Coil Build Configurations
- Convenient Side-Fill Port
- Multiple Airflow System
- Bottom-Middle Slotted Airflow Tube Sleeve
- Middle Slotted Airflow Tube Sleeve
- Delrin Wide bore Drip Tip
SMOK released their take on the RDTA box in the form of the Skyhook. Aesthetically speaking, it looks like their popular Alien mod, with an atomizer slapped on top. It holds 9 mL of juice and is meant to be used as a powerful duo. The Skyhook mod also has temp control capabilities.
The SMOK Skyhook RDTA has a floating velocity style deck and it is 23 mm in diameter. It also allows for both dual and single coil builds (using a plug), in addition to having multiple airflow options. The Skyhook takes two 18650 batteries and is capable of firing up to 220W.
The “alien’s cloud machine” gives the full-sized iJoy RDTA Box a run for its money, making it one of the best RDTA vapes out there right now.
- 24 mm Diameter
- 2 mL Juice Reservoir
- Superior Stainless Steel Construction
- Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
- Spacious Flavor-Orientated Chamber
- Dual Terminal - Side-Secured
- PEEK Insulator
- Four Wicking Port
- Dual Adjustable Bottom Airslots
- Dual Adjustable Side Airslots
- Central Filling Port - Exposed via Removing Top Cap
- Flavor Widebore Drip Tip
- 510 Squonk-Ready Pin - Optional
- 510 Connection
When Cthulu Mods developed the Gaia, their goal was to achieve the best RDTA atomizer that strikes a perfect balance between clouds and flavor. Using both side and bottom airflow, the Gaia RDTA can be adjusted to your vaping style. The kit includes an extra 510 squonking pin.
The Gaia has a velocity-style deck, in addition to a velocity-style side airflow system which you turn to achieve your preferred airflow setting. It’s 24 mm in diameter and holds 2 mL of e-liquid. Last but not least, the Gaia has four large wicking ports, and a fill port right in the center of the deck which is very easy to use.
- 24 mm Diameter
- 4 mL Juice Capacity
- High-Quality 304 Stainless Steel Construction
- Food-Grade Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
- 24K Gold-Plated Apparatus
- Interchangeable Building Posts
- Two-Post w/ Clamp Mechanism Deck
- Dual Terminals Deck - Velocity-Style
- PEEK Insulator
- Capable of Transforming into RDA
- Removable Threaded Tank Section
- Signature Side-Fill Method - Large 9 mm by 3 mm Port
- Four Air slots Located on Each Side - Adjustable Knurled Top Cap
- Sloped Delrin Drip Tip
- Gold-Plated 510 Connection
The Mage RTA is already known as one of the best flavor RTAs, now CoilArt has set out to create not one of the best RDTA atomizers, but one that can also be used as a dripper. The Coil Art Mage Combo RDTA comes with multiple deck options in addition to swappable deck posts.
This RDTA gives you multiple airflow options, including both bottom and side airflow. The deck has gold plated posts and the overall diameter of the atomizer is 24 mm. The deck has a unique spring loaded clamp system for your builds. Using a side port fill system, the Coil Art Mage Combo can hold up to 4 mL of juice.
What is an RDTA?
One of the things that can make vaping pretty confusing when you are starting out is all the different names for the devices. RDA’s, RTA’s and more recently RDTA’s have been building in popularity. Do Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomizers, give you the “best of both worlds”?.
Think of an RDTA atomizer as a cross between a tank and an a dripper. Instead of only holding juice within the cotton and juice wells, it’s essentially a dripper sitting on top of a reservoir of e-juice. The wicks hang down into the tank and feed the juice to the coil as you are vaping.
RDTA’s are based off the Genesis style of atomizers which were popular for their flavor. Traditionally stainless steel mesh was used for wicking, but since has been replaced primarily with organic cotton. RDTA’s are a throwback, but at the same time, they are also cutting edge.
Another advantage of using RDTA’s is that they are often times easy to fill, despite not holding a ton of liquid. Instead of unscrewing it apart like a tank, most rebuildable dripping tank atomizers pop open like a dripper (by pulling off the top cap) so that you can fill it up or use it as an RDA.
The problem with RTA's
Many rebuildable tank atomizers, aka RTA’s are great, but you’ll never get the same experience on one versus that of a dripper because of the few extra millimeters that the vapor has to travel through the chimney. This can make a world of difference, believe it or not. Hence the RDTA…
Let’s rewind a few years back to when you could only get this type of performance from a vape tank. Since then, some impressive RTA’s have come out, but are still outshined by most RDA’s. For years, vapers have strived to attain that seemingly impossible “dripper in a tank” experience.
Rebuildable dripping tank atomizers were the industry’s answer to this desire. On an RDTA, the mouthpiece sits right on top of the coils, just like an RDA. Unlike a tank, the vapor doesn’t travel through a chimney, it’s the same proximity to your mouth as it would be on an average dripper.
The Genny lean?
Many RDTA users have found themselves doing this, and no it isn’t a new hip-hop dance craze. The Genny lean, is tilting your RDTA on an angle when puffing on it, to ensure that the cotton gets saturated, especially when your tank is running low. Back when Genesis atomizers were more popular, this was a common tactic used to combat those dry hits you would otherwise get.
5 Tips for building/wicking RDTA's:
1. Comb and fluff your wicks before vaping
2. Don’t be cheap, use a good amount of cotton
3. Don’t use too much cotton or dry hit city
4. Experiment with where you like to cut your wicks
5. Don’t build your coils too high or too low
Even the best RDTA tanks require some trial and error to attain the perfect build and wicking. Experiment with different builds and techniques to find out which one is best for you.
Let’s take a look at some of the best RDTA atomizers available on the market today…
Now that you have seen some of the best RDTA vapes and have a basic understanding of how they work, we want to know what you think. Do rebuildable dripping tank atomizers really give you the “best of both” worlds? Technically speaking, they do, what was your experience like?
Leave a comment about what you think about RDTA’s. Which one is your favorite right now?