You can call me Mooch.
I do a lot of battery testing over at the ECF forums and Reddit (as Mooch315) and will be writing a series of articles here at Vaping360 about batteries and battery safety.
With all of the misinformation floating around the web about batteries, why listen to what I have to say? I am a fellow vaper who works as an independent electrical engineer.
Since 1992 I have specialized in the design of power management products such as battery chargers, power supplies, battery dischargers/testers, and battery management/protection systems. For over twenty years I have been selecting and testing batteries for my clients. This has given me the experience, the tools, and the techniques to sort out what’s true and what’s not. It’s been my job to determine what’s safe when it comes to the batteries my clients use in their products. I want to do the same thing for the vaping community.
When I started vaping I noticed just how much bad battery information is out there. From exaggerated ratings to unsafe handling practices, vapers are surrounded by information that is not only wrong but can be dangerous too. Our batteries aren’t hand grenades waiting to go off, but they do require our respect for the power they contain.
With a bit of knowledge we can all help to prevent accidents from happening. Vaping360 and I would like to give you the information you need to not only get the most out of your batteries, but to do it safely.
With a bit of knowledge we can all help to prevent accidents from happening.
Topics we’ll cover include the following…
- How does temperature affect battery life and safety?
- What is the continuous current rating (CDR)? Why is it important?
- Battery pulse ratings are useless and dangerous!
- There are no 18650 batteries rated over 30A!
- What is battery chemistry? What does IMR, INR, and ICR mean?
- What are LiPo batteries? Are they dangerous?
- What is venting and thermal runaway?
- What to do if your your battery overheat or vents.
- What are “rewrapped” batteries? Are they safe to use?
- Where can authentic batteries be purchased?
- Choosing a safe battery for a mechanical mod.
- Choosing a safe battery for a regulated mod.
- Safe battery charging.
- What are battery wraps? Why keep them in good condition?
- When to replace a battery? How long do they last?
- How long can a battery be stored?
Don’t hesitate to post in the Comments what you think or if there’s other topics you’d like to see covered. I’m excited about being able to write these articles and I’m looking forward to your feedback. I hope that you’ll join me each week!
Note: The statements and recommendations I make here are only my personal opinion. While I base them on years of research and testing, you are responsible for your own safety. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.