The Matrix sub ohm tank is made by High Voltage, the same manufacturers that made the High Voltage sub ohm tank. The Matrix features a 5ml tank, with two vertical coils (0.2ohm & 0.6ohm) that are able to fire from 30 – 80W. The Matrix features massive dual air flow holes, as well as an additional air flow hole in the drip tip.
We received our Matrix tank from VaporDNA for reviewing purposes, so a big thanks to them for sending it over!
Matrix Specs and Features
- One Matrix Sub-Ohm Dual BVC Tank by High Voltage
- One Matrix Widebore Drip Tip with 6.5 mm auxiliary airflow
- One 0.2 ohm Matrix Coil (Preinstalled) and one 0.6 ohm Matrix Coil
- Price: $29.99
- Wattage Range: 30-80W (0.2ohm coil) 30-80W (0.6ohm coil)
- Tank Capacity: 5ml
- Coils Available: 0.2 or 0.6ohm
- Wicking material: 100% Organic Japanese Cotton
- RBA: No RBA deck
- Diameter: 22mm
Vaping the 0.2ohm coil: Recommended wattage 30-80W
- 30W – Already pretty good clouds. Not getting any flavor at this wattage though.
- 40W – Big clouds already and a nice warm vape at 40W. Flavor coming through now slightly.
- 50W – Decent flavor now, but if you don’t have the air flow and drip tip air flow open wide, the tank is already getting quite hot on longer consecutive inhales.
- 60W – Clouds are just amazing and the flavor is really nice now. Gets very hot quickly at this wattage despite all air flows open.
- 70W – Lovely clouds and lovely flavor, but again I can’t vape this very long as it gets too hot.
- 80W – Absolutely massive clouds and the flavor, having now vaped through half the tank, is a lot better. I can’t vape at this wattage, as it is too hot for me on longer inhales.
The sweet spot for me on this coil, flavor wise, is around 70W. When chain vaping at this wattage the tank and vapor gets a little too hot for my liking, but the flavor is best around this wattage. Have a play around to find the best wattage for you and let us know what you think below.
Vaping the 0.6ohm coil: Recommended wattage 30-80W
- 30W – No flavor yet and pretty good vapor for 30W.
- 40W – Flavor coming through, but still not there. A cool vape.
- 50W – Very good flavor at 50W, better than the 0.2ohm coil and a cooler vape.
- 60W – Delightful flavor and the vapor is now getting a lot warmer on longer inhales.
- 70W – A bit more vapor and a warm vape, but in my opinion less hot than the 0.2ohm coil.
- 80W – Very hot now, but no burnt hits. Flavor doesn’t seem to be that much better than at 60-70W, so I wouldn’t vape at this wattage.
I enjoyed the 0.6ohm coil more than the 0.2ohm one, as I found the vapor was slightly cooler and the flavor was fantastic at 60-70W.
Flavor and Clouds
The flavor took a while to come out on the 0.2ohm coil. We went through about half a tank before it really began to shine. We enjoyed the 0.2ohm coil best around 70W, although it did get quite hot at this level.
I found the flavor came through a lot quicker on the 0.6ohm coil and for me was a touch better than the 0.2ohm one. I got the impression that the vapor was slightly cooler on the 0.6ohm coil and we enjoyed it best around 60-70W.
I would say the flavor was very good. I think it was the same sort of flavor we got on the Atlantis 2 and perhaps also on the OBS T-VCT. However, I still don’t think it is quite up there with the Crown, Freemax Starre and Herakles. That is just the opinion of both my brother and I, having now tried around 20 sub ohm tanks already! Let us know what you think about the flavor below!
The clouds were massive especially at the higher wattages. The clouds were up there with the likes of the High Voltage and the Herakles!
Quality Build and Design
I really like the overall looks and design of the Matrix sub ohm tank. It looks great in my opinion and the whole tank has a very quality feel to it (apart from the wobbly drip tip, but I’ll come to that later). We didn’t have any leaking issues at all and the tank is relatively straight forward to take apart and re-fill from the bottom. The bottom connector pin is apparently made from silver, which makes it more conductive. This should provide a superior connection with your box mod (in theory).
We used our medical syringe to fill the Matrix and you can definitely get 5ml of e-juice into the tank and perhaps even 1 ml more, if you soak the coil as well.
Massive Dual Airflow
The Matrix sub ohm tank features dual 14mm air flow holes on the bottom of the tank. The air flow is fantastic and similar to that on the Atlantis 2, which had the best air flow we have come across so far.
Removable Drip Tip with Airflow
The drip tip is a nice wide bore removable drip tip with additional air flow like on the SMOK VCT Pro. I like the additional air flow, as it keeps the drip tip cooler at higher wattages and I really think you need it using the 0.2ohm at 60-80W. The drip tip is however, really wobbly, which I talk about more in the negatives section below.
The Matrix tank features dual vertical coils, with a base that has rectangular intake holes, thereby increasing the airflow into each coil tremendously.
The coils also feature massive rectangular juice flow holes allowing for great wicking, even with max VG e-juice. The juice flow holes are similar to those on the Arctic tank and wick very well and we never had any wicking issues when using the recommended wattages.
Wobbly Drip Tip
The drip tip on the Matrix has quite a tight fit when you put it in, but once you play around with it, you will notice it isn’t very secure at all. It wobbles around when vaping a lot, which really annoys me! You can attach your own drip tips, if you want, but I quite like the drip tip with the additional air flow. The drip tip well is also quite shallow, so watch out for that when using your own tips. The Matrix drip tip won’t fall out when vaping, but it will wobble quite a bit, which I personally find really annoying, as this should have been addressed before being released onto the market.
Juice Collects in the Drip Tip Well
When vaping a lot on this tank you will notice that quite a bit of e-juice builds up underneath the drip tip in the well. It is a minor nuisance, but nothing major.
The Matrix tank gets very hot especially using the 0.2ohm coil at high wattages, despite its massive air flow. The 0.6ohm coil was more tolerable, but chain vaping this tank at very high wattages was unbearably hot for me.
There is no RBA section for this tank and I do not know if there is one planned. This will be a big negative for those who like to rebuild their own coils. If you want a sub ohm tank with a quality RBA deck then check out the Zephyrus sub ohm tank.
No Instruction Leaflet or Warnings about Sub Ohm Vaping
There was no instruction leaflet with this tank and no warnings on the packaging about correct battery usage for sub ohm vaping etc. I would like to see firms putting more of an effort into safety and instructions, to make sure no one gets hurt using these tanks incorrectly!
The wobbly drip tip was really annoying and in my opinion something they should have been addressed before release. It just ruins what is otherwise a fantastic sub ohm tank. Those looking for big clouds and a flavorsome vape at the higher wattage ranges (50-80W) will really enjoy the Matrix. The flavor was really good, the clouds were absolutely massive and the air flow was very wide!