Over the last five years, the technology for dry herb vaporizers has been rapidly advancing. Much like personal computers, the latest weed vapes are not only way smaller but way more powerful than ever before.
Note: You may hear us use the term cannabis, dry herb, weed, marijuana or loose leaf on this page. They are all referring to the same thing. You might choose to use these products for aromatherapy or with tobacco but let’s be honest, they were designed to vaporize cannabis.
This section is dedicated to the best portables available on the market today. The cannabis portable vaporizer market is rapidly evolving so these are the latest and greatest portables to date!
Best Portable Vaporizers 2017
The PAX 2 quickly became the iPhone of portable vaporizers and now PAX Labs has a new and improved version called the PAX 3 which takes some of its best features to the next level. Increased airflow, faster heat-up times and a Bluetooth app that controls your temperature, the PAX, one of the best portable vaporizers to date just got that much better.
- Colors: Black|Blue and Steel
- Length (with cartridge): 129.4mm/5.09inches
- Weight (with empty e-liquid cartridge): 118.72g/4.18oz
- Diameter (max): 34.5mm/1.36inches
- E-liquid Cartridge capacity: 2.5ml
- Loose Lead Cartridge capacity: 1300mm³
- Battery Output Voltage: User Controlled (3.7V
- 4.2V and 4.7V)
- Battery Capacity: 1800mAh
- Cutoff Time E-Liquid: 10s
- Cutoff Time Loose Leaf (150s after green light)
The V2 Pro Series 7 not only works as a standalone portable herb vaporizer, but it also offers the option to vape e-liquid and waxy concentrates making it the best all-around portable vaporizer. The V2 Pro Series 7 isn’t just for loose leaf but is rather a do-it-all type of device. It does a fantastic job of vaping dry herb and its price point makes it a no brainer for those looking for an affordable portable weed vaporizer.
This portable vaporizer is reminiscent of an Eleaf product, such as the iStick or Pico, and capable of vaporizing e-liquid too, if you are into that as well. Not to mention, it has a separate attachment for waxy concentrates, so it can literally vape anything!
The Series 7 is the perfect portable vaporizer for anybody who wants to try vaping for the first time or for those looking for a solid and affordable portable weed vaporizer. Users can experiment with all of the different attachments and find out whether they prefer e-liquid, waxy oils or dry herb.
- Streamlined Profile and Simplified User Interface
- Single Button Operation
- Four Temperature Settings
- Low to High
- 30 to 60 Second Heating Time
- Integrated Accelerometer
- Quickly Check Battery Level by Gently Shaking Device
- Deeper Oven
- More Consistent Draw
- 10 to 25 Draw Capacity
- Dependent on Temperature
- LED Feedback Display
- Quadrant Based
- Multi Color
- Elegant Anodized Aluminum Surfacing
- Multitude of Color Options
- Comfortable to Hold
- Ergonomically Shaped
- Improved Lithium Ion Battery
- Increased Efficiency
- Intelligent Heating and Cooling Systems
- Magnetic Charge Port
- Included with Magnetic Charging Cradle
- Two Mouthpiece Options
- Flat and Raised
- Easily Swappable
- Easily Cleaned
- Includes Cleaning Kit
- 10 Year Warranty
- Register Your Device Through PAX Vapor
In short, the Pax 2 is the iPhone of portable weed vaporizers. When you first pick it up, it doesn’t make any sense. Its simple and understated design can actually be confusing at first. Once you figure it out, it is smooth sailing from there. It doesn’t just look cool, it actually works too.
The first Pax was known for its good flavor. This has been improved in the Pax 2. The battery life is also better, and the body is smaller and narrower. The Pax 1 or 2 is not going to give you big milky clouds but you will get great flavor and it is a discrete way of using cannabis.
The Pax 2 has a unique design that is based off the original Pax. It has a deeper oven that holds a decent amount of herb, and works best when it is fully packed. Cleaning and maintenance is minimal, but must be done often for the optimal vaporization of your herbs.
- Compatible with Ground Material (Dry Herb)
- Temperature Range: 200F-428F
- LED Display
- Modern Ergonomic Design
- Deep all-ceramic Chamber
- Quick Heat up time- 30 Seconds to 375F
This portable vaporizer is one of the most recent to come out and has some of the most advanced features you will find on a portable herbal vaporizer to date such as a huge .75 gram ceramic heating chamber and an LED Screen with battery indication and a very attractive design.
Since its inception, the “G Pen” has become a staple in the vaping world. Originally designed for oil and wax, they now have products for dry herb such as the G Pro. The G Pen Elite is unlike anything else on the market, literally. They designed it from scratch. It has a ton of new improvements from their last portable herbal vaporizer such as an LED screen and a wide range of temperature settings.
The ceramic chamber holds roughly about .5 grams and produces excellent flavor. The battery will give you about an hour before you need to recharge, which is quite a few sessions. Overall this portable cannabis vaporizer is simple to use and maintain. The mouthpiece can be disassembled for easy and thorough cleaning.
- 300F – 435F Adjustable Temperature Settings
- Digital Display
- Convection Heating
- Optimum Airflow
- Discreet Design
The Diamond features a decent-sized ceramic chamber with four holes that are built into the edges of the chamber which is reminiscent of the PAX oven. The mouthpiece is one solid piece of plastic without screens or filters, so it is actually very easy to clean and maintain.
The Cloud V Diamond is extremely portable and compact. It has a magnetic cover for the mouthpiece. Best of all, this thing heats up almost instantaneously. Within seconds of powering on, you will smell the aroma and even see vapor flowing out the mouthpiece.
The Diamond is dependable, efficient and just works the way it should, no matter how much you pack. The flavor is fantastic and the vapor production is abundant for a portable herb vape.
- No Combustion
- Digital OLED Display
- Large Ceramic Chamber
- 300-435 Degree Temp Control
- Over 135 Settings
- 40 Second Heat Up Time
- 5 Click On/ Off Safety Feature
- Smart Memory Technology ®
- Remembers your last Setting
- Long Battery Life
- Micro USB Charging Port
- Wax Chamber
- Wick for liquids
- Removal Tweezers for Wax Chamber
This portable vaporizer holds the most dry herb, up to .8 grams of cannabis.
You might skip right past this one since it looks just like many other portable weed vaporizers you have seen under different names. This design has been “borrowed” quite a few times before because it seems to work better than most, but Mig Vapor made some tweaks of their own by adding a huge .8 gram dry herb chamber and an option for wax concentrates.
Put it this way, if you want a real portable vaporizer that just works, then go for it. The Matrix performs the way you would expect from a good portable. Nice draw, great flavor and vapor production with the ability to dial in your exact temperature. The unit itself is extremely lightweight and durable with a battery life that can vaporize a ton of herb before it dies.
For the price, this is clearly one of the best options on the market today. The Matrix has all of the features that you can want from a portable vape in this price range, and then some.
- Heats in Only 3 Seconds
- For Both Aromatic Blends and Concentrates
- Charges in 45 Minutes
- New Charging Cradle
- USB 3.0 Cable Connects to Any Phone or Tablet Charger
- Sleek Magnetic Lid
- Borosilicate Glass Vapor Path
- 2 Year Limited Warranty
The Firefly 2 heats up when you press the button so there is never any vapor coming out of it, which greatly reduces the smell. This is a big consideration for people who are stealth vaping.
The Firefly took the portable vaping world by storm because it was drastically different from anything else on the market. Now the creators have come up with a new version that improves upon just about every critique the first one had. The Firefly 2 is very different from the rest of ‘em.
What makes the Firefly 2 so unique is the fact that it has on-demand heating. In other words, it is not an oven that will stay heating. The user presses a button which initiates the heating process, similar to the old Magic Flight Launch Box. Perfect for long, drawn-out sessions.
One of the benefits of this heating system is the fact that none of the flavor gets wasted. That has a positive effect on flavor. Its small size makes it great for on-the-go use, however the oven can only hold small amounts at a time. Last but not least, it is good at concealing odors.
These portable cannabis vaporizers have been around for awhile now but still are worth mentioning on this list. They include the Goboof Alfa, the HipVap and the Mighty/Crafty. We will be keeping our eyes out for future products so that we can keep this list up-to-date.
What is a Dry Herb Vaporizer?
Let’s back up for a second. Just like personal computers, the original vaporizers were gigantic! Now we refer to these as “desktop units”, which still work great and have a purpose. However, in more recent years, marijuana vaporizers started getting smaller and more portable.
One of the first ultra-portable vaporizers to gain traction would have to be the original PAX. Unfortunately the $300 price tag discouraged a lot of people from switching over to vaping.
Since then, and even since I started working for Vaping360, I have noticed more portable weed vaporizers hitting the market for under $200! Another notable portable marijuana vaporizer is the Magic Flight Launch Box, which is still used by vapor connoisseurs on the regular, to this day.
PAX Labs has since released the PAX 2 portable vaporizer, an updated version of the original, in order to compete with this rapidly growing market. This market has become a lot more competitive since they started and basically cornered the market on portable loose leaf vaporizers.
Dry Herb Pens Vs. Portable Vaporizers
You may have seen our Best Dry Herb Pens page. In that section we have specifically chosen those particular vaporizers that have the form factor of a vape pen. Although rare, this type of product has been in high demand probably long before the technology was available.
The main advantage to using a weed vape pen would be portability and discretion. However, although bigger in size, portable dry herb vaporizers usually have more advanced features such as an LED screen with battery-life indication. More importantly, you will usually get a more satisfying vape from a portable vaporizer versus a pen style. The choice is subjective.
Conduction Vs. Convection
You might hear the terms “convection” and “conduction” thrown around a lot when talking about portable dry herb vaporizers. These terms might sound like confusing scientific terminology, but it is actually quite simple.
Conduction means that there is a conductor of heat, for example a heated surface that makes contact with your weed. This heating process will probably give you a stronger hit, but will run the risk of getting close to combustion. Another advantage is that it will heat up faster.
Convection has to do with air. In this heating method, the dry herb material is heated by air, which takes longer to do, but will give off better flavor. Another advantage to this process is that you won’t need to stir your loose leaf around to ensure that it gets evenly vaporized.
Most portable vaporizers operate with a combination of both conduction and convection heating. For example, the weed might be touching a heated surface (Conduction), however when you inhale, the air that is pulled inside is then heated thus increasing vaporization (Convection).
Tips for Vaping with Dry Herb Vaporizers
- Always use a grinder to get the most vapor of out your herbs.
- Also make sure that your herb is not too moist or sticky. The dryer the herb, the better the vapor production.
- Wait an extra 10-15 seconds beyond when your device says it is up to temperature. Let it create a nice flow of vapor and you will typically have a better session.
- Make sure your portable weed vaporizer is charged before you pack, the worst part about vaping is having your device die in the middle of a session. Not fun.
- Start at a low temperature, and work your way up towards the end. Once the flavor and vapor production start to die down, your session is over.
- Don’t overpack your portable cannabis vaporizer! I can’t stress this enough because this makes such a huge impact on the heat distribution and overall efficiency of your dry herb vape. When it comes to portable herbal vaporizers, a little bit can go a long way. (Less is more.)
- Don’t underpack your portable dry herb vaporizer either because then your loose leaf will just fly around and end up getting sucked in the mouthpiece. Don’t be cheap, pack enough so that the herb can “sit together”, but also make sure that air can travel in between.
- Wait about 15-20 seconds between hits, to give the portable vaporizer some time to create more vapor. It is not an e-cig where you can chain vape and blow humongous clouds.
- Don’t be lazy. Clean after each session. My grandmother used to say “a stitch in time saves nine”. This is incredibly true for cannabis vape pens.
- If you wait, it is gonna get ugly.
- Wait for your dry herb oven to cool down first, then gently use your brush to clean it.