This is going to be an article about the actual side effects of e-cigs and vaping. The problem with information is that it ultimately becomes polluted with political garbage. We have all heard about this “study” that showed high levels of Formaldehyde production using e-cigs.
When I entered “e-cigarette side effects” into Google, this was the first thing that popped up:
“E-cigarette vapor can contain cancer-causing formaldehyde at levels up to 15 times higher than regular cigarettes, a new study finds. Researchers found that e-cigarettes operated at high voltages produce vapor with large amounts of formaldehyde-containing chemical compounds.”
Is this study accurate? Fortunately no, it was taken completely out of context and has been disputed countless times since. If anything, this study only proves that Formaldehyde can be produced in an e-cigarette if used improperly. This means that vendors should be responsible for not just selling items but making sure the consumer has a basic understanding of what they are buying and how to use it. Most vape shops do exactly this, but there are still a lot of stores that just happen to carry e-cigs because it is a growing market that generates money.
Introducing Dr. Farsalinos, a Greek scientist committed to the research and study of e-cigs. He is known by many in the vaping community as a big advocate and continues to conduct experiments uncovering the real e-cig side effects that we should be concerned about.
Here is a quote from a letter that he wrote addressing the misinformation regarding e-cigs:
“. . . it was extremely inappropriate to extrapolate cancer risks and misinform the public about e-cigarettes being more carcinogenic than tobacco cigarettes. Additionally, it was extremely inappropriate to present in the same figure the formaldehyde exposure from tobacco cigarettes as mean and standard deviation while the exposure from e-cigarettes as mean and standard error of mean.”
More detailed information about this topic can be found on his website. He also provides links to other studies being conducted about the side effects of vaping. There are also many interviews that you can watch and listen to, including one on PBusardo’s YouTube channel.
Ok, so now that we have eliminated the smoke and mirrors, or should I say fog, let us talk about the actual side effects of e-cigarettes. There are a few, the most common one being the overwhelming compulsion to go out and buy a new setup every time they release a new mod that has higher wattage or an atomizer that goes .1 ohms lower than before. But seriously speaking, there are a few side effects of e-cigs that we will look at and take into account.
The Real Side Effects of Vaping
First of all let us consider that most of these side effects, although they are real, may simply be an initial reaction to vaping. After a while, once the user becomes more accustomed to it, these side effects may dissipate. Of course, we still do not know the long term side effects associated with e-cigarettes, however, so far most of the research shows that it is the most effective means of Nicotine Replacement Therapy available. In other words, quitting “analog” cigarettes may be one of the long term side effects of vaping which increases your life span.
The first three side effects I am going to put under a larger category because I feel that these are all commonly associated with Dehydration which can be avoided by simply drinking water.
- Dry Mouth – This is caused by the VG content which can attract moisture.
- Dry Skin – A common side effect of dehydration. (However, for people with oily skin, this can actually work in your favor, but drinking water is still essential.)
- Itchiness – Another result of being dehydrated, when skin is dry, it has a tendency to become itchy, flaky and red.
As we can see, dehydration is a slippery slope. If we become dehydrated, this can lead to dry skin which can cause itchiness. All of this can be easily prevented by drinking enough fluids.
- Dizziness – This is also a side effect of smoking cigarettes so I personally associate this with the Nicotine content. We know it is a stimulant that has some reported benefits, however it can be dangerous if ingested in high dosages. The problem with e-cigs is that it is very easy to “chain vape”, especially in the right environment, such as a vape shop. Vapers must be aware of their nicotine levels and if they start to feel flush or dizzy, they should put that mod down. Especially those using Sub Ohm setups should be aware of the nicotine levels that they are inhaling.
- Allergies – There are probably thousands of different flavorings that can be used in e-liquid. Some of these may include chocolate, nuts, fruits etc. and may be naturally derived. If so, many vapers may experience a similar allergy to certain juices that contain these substances. In addition, some people may even have an allergic reaction to Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin. In that case, they must find a juice that contains only one of those two ingredients.
- Canker Sores – This is another one of those things that is not caused by the actual vaping itself, but by the failure to keep your mouthpiece clean. Anything that you are sticking directly into your face-hole on a regular basis should be kept sanitary.
Ok, so first we laid to rest the claims about Formaldehyde in e-cigarettes. Next, we talked about the various vaping side effects. I found that many of these “side effects” were due to lack of knowledge regarding how to prevent them. For example, many of these adverse reactions can be simply avoided by drinking more water.
Again, we only know so much right now about the topic but fortunately, we have dedicated scientists such as Dr. Farsalinos at the forefront of this endeavor. The truth is that a lot of research has already been conducted, however it will naturally take time to analyze this data and project long-term negative effects of vaping. Keep in mind if you are using a high-powered device, this may actually increase the chances of side effects. The biggest factor in preventing these harmful effects of vaping would have to be knowledge about the subject.