Kanger Subtank Plus Intro
Kanger originally released their first Subtank, which had a 6ml tank capacity. However the original had a few issues, such as leaks and having to unscrew the top to put in the RBA section. Kanger then released their Subtank Mini which was an improved smaller (22mm) version of the original Subtank.
Kanger have now released the Subtank Plus, which I think the original should have been called in the first place. The Kanger Subtank Plus is an improved version of the original 6ml Subtank and now features a 7ml tank, improved thicker o-rings to stop leaking as well as an improved airflow system. The question is, is it worth getting the Kanger Subtank Plus if you already own the original and if you are the owner of a Subtank Mini.
For more info on all the sub ohm tanks on the market, head over to our sub ohm tank guide to see which is for you.
Kanger Subtank Plus Specs and Features
- 1 x Kanger Subtank Plus
- 1 x 0.5 ohm OCC
- 1 x 1.2 ohms OCC
- 2 x 0.5 ohm RBA (30W coil)
- 1 x Japanese organic cotton sheet
- 1 x Mini RBA base
- 1 x Pyrex glass tank
- 1 x screwdriver
- 2 x screws
- 3 x seal rings
- Price: $39.99
- Wattage Range: 15-30W (0.5ohm coil) 12-25W (1.2ohm coil)
- Tank Capacity: 7ml
- Coils Available: 0.5ohm and 1.2ohm OCC Coils
- Wicking Material: 100% Japanese Organic Cotton
- RBA: RBA comes with the kit
- Diameter: 25mm
Kanger Subtank Plus Improvements over the Original Subtank
So you bought the original Kanger Subtank and now you are looking at the Kanger Subtank Plus and wondering if it is worth upgrading. I have highlighted the improvements and changes that Kanger have introduced on the Subtank Plus to help you make this decision. Please let me know if you think I have missed any!
- 7ml tank capacity on the Subtank Plus, whereas the original had a 6ml one (with the standard OCC coils).
- Thicker and improved o-rings, to provide a better seal and help stop leaking that was occurring on the original.
- The RBA section on the Subtank Plus can now be inserted without having to unscrew the top of the tank!
- The RBA section itself, is I believe the same as the Minis, albeit it seems the airflow holes are slightly wider/longer than the ones on my mini and the same size as on the Vaporfi Volt. This should help with the dry hit issues some were having with the original RBA. The Subtank Plus RBA is a lot smaller than the original, which might make it more fiddly for builds, but this then allows for more juice in the tank and allows for the RBA to be inserted without having to unscrew the roof of the tank
- The airflow is much improved on the Subtank Plus. The airflow now features two air holes that are always open on either side of the tank. There are three different airflow settings, with different sized holes. The last setting is quite a small airflow hole, so perhaps this can be used for mouth to lung (We will try in a second).
- The Kanger Subtank Plus now comes with spare o-rings in black! (they look pretty cool)
- The airflow slots at the bottom of the new Subtank Plus coils seem to be slightly bigger allowing for more airflow onto the coil heads. Also the older and newer subtank coils are 100% interchangeable with each other.
- 510 Connector pin is no longer spring loaded and is flat. So far I haven’t had any issues on any of my box mods that I tried it with (Cloupor T8, iStick 50W and Vaporfi Vox II).
- The Subtank Plus still comes with all the cotton and kit for rebuilding the RBA section as on the previous version. It also comes with the spare pyrex glass and two OCC coils. The 0.5ohm one is already installed and the 1.2ohm coil is inside the box.
- Driptips have also been changed and are the same size as the Kanger Subtank Mini’s driptip.
Kanger Subtank Plus Review – Vaping Test
I am not going to go into full detail on the Kanger Subtank Plus as it vapes well and similarly to the Subtank Mini, just with a bigger tank.
I’ll point out a few differences that I noticed when vaping it.
The smallest airflow setting wasn’t quite tight enough for a mouth to lung hit. If you cover one side up, then it is alright for a mouth to lung. It would have been good to have a slightly tighter setting for mouth to lung, as I am not sure what the point is of the tightest setting at the moment. You can neither lung hit on it nor mouth to lung on it!
Vaping wise on the 0.5ohm occ coil, the flavor is just as you would expect from the Kanger Subtank series. The Subtank Mini has become the tank that has set the bar in terms of flavor and the Subtank Plus follows suit, albeit with a much larger tank. I think the improved airflow on the Subtank Plus helps give it a just a little bit more flavor compared to the original Subtank.
Vapor wise there isn’t much to talk about, as it is similar to the Subtank Mini. The vape on the Plus is a nice warm vape at 20-30W, as you have come to expect with the Subtanks. With the added airflow I think the drip tip now stays slightly cooler when vaping, as my Subtank mini sometime got a little uncomfortably hot.
If you are using the Subtank Plus on something like the iStick 50W or 20W it will be overlapping a bit due to its 25mm diameter. It looks pretty nice on Cloupor T8 and only overlaps a tiny tiny bit on that box mod.
Leaking Issues on the Subtank Plus
I came back from being away for a few hours to find my Subtank Plus had fallen over and was lying on its side. I picked it up only to discover that the e-liquid had completely leaked out of the wide open airflow holes. I got e-liquid all over the place, so I was pretty annoyed (it went all over the T8 and all over my new keyboard!). I’m guessing if you have it in your pocket it could potentially leak as well, so either I have been unlucky with our tank or Kanger haven’t quite sorted out the leaking issue. So many people have been complaining about the leaking issues on the other subtanks and Kanger really need to sort this out, as the other newer sub ohm tanks from different brands are not leaking on me whatsoever! Come on Kanger sort it out please!
There isn’t really much to talk about as the Subtank Plus vapes much like the Mini but has that much larger tank capacity for those who are looking for a bigger tank.