Best Vape Mods and Box Mods of 2017
In our detailed “best of” list we take a look at the best vape mods & box mods on the market. Our top box mod list comprises beginner vape mods, high powered vape mods, compact box mods and all-in-one vape mods. Our “best vape mod” list is based on the vape mods we have tested so far and those highly recommended to us by close friends and fellow experts. Not everyone will agree with our list, but we hope it will provide readers with a clear overview of some of the best vape mods on the market. We will be updating the top box mods article as we review more devices going forward. Please take into consideration that there are many new mods coming out on a daily basis, therefore it might take a while for the best ones to make it onto our list.
Best Box Mods For Beginners
- 2600 mAh Reactor Battery
Capable of 40W in regular power mode or in temperature controlled the Halo Reactor Mini is a fine choice for that vaper that wants to finally progress on from puffing on ecigs to vaping with mods.
- Hand squeeze button
- Size: 23.0mm * 45.0 mm * 83.0mm
- Color: black
- Capacity: 2200mAh
- Thread Type: 510 Thread
- Rated output voltage: 2.0V-10.0V
- Rated output wattage: 5W-40W
- Rated resistance range: 0.5O-5O
- Z Bubble Tank is made from Food Grade Polycarbonate material.
- Virtually bump
- and general hard use proof.
- Elegant design of a clear tank.
- The Z Stick 40W has a greater working range (voltage: 2V-10V; Wattage: 5W-40W) and battery capacity(2200mAh)
- It will take 2.5 hours to charge the battery via 1A wall adaptor
- Temperature Alarm function: If the temperature of device is over 70? the output will shut off automatically and the screen will reflect ``Temp Protection`` for 5 seconds
- Spring Connector and Stainless Steel Thread: The spring connection base ensures its great adaptability and the connecting thread is made of stainless steel
- Side Charging Port: The USB charging port is on the side of battery which is more convenient
- Inherit Advantages of Z Stick Series: OLED display adjustable voltage/wattage and arrow button lock function
- Designed for Sub-Ohm Tanks: Partner tank is the Z Tank Mini
The Z Stick vape mod kit is a 40W mini box mod set-up which includes the cool see-through bubble tank by Mig Vapor. The box mod can fire up to 40W and features a 2200mAh battery life which at below 40W will last you a good day of solid vaping. The Z Stick mod is extremely easy to use and is relatively small for its great battery capacity. Its unique form factor means it fits really nicely in your hand whilst vaping. The Z Stick box mod uses Kanger OCC coil heads providing plenty of vapor and flavor at relatively low wattage settings. For vapers looking for a small and sleek set-up that still provides good battery life, then the Z Stick from Mig Vapor is a great option.
- 49 x 26 x 75mm
- Built-in 2100mAh Battery
- Built-in Tank
- 3.5ml Tank Capacity
- LED Tank Light
- Removable Drip Tip
- Top Fill Tank Design
- Anti-Leak Protection
- Temperature Control Compatible
- Variable Wattage Range: 1-80W
- Resistance Range: 0.15 - 3.0ohm
- Temperature Resistance Range: 0.05 - 1.0ohm
- Temperature Range: 200°F-600°F / 100°C-315°C
- Modes: Power/Ni200/TCR/Bypass/Memory
- Real Time Clock (RTC)
- 0.96`` OLED Screen
- 1A USB Charging
The Vaporfi Vaio 80TC is a premium all-in-one box mod. This mod can be used with the tank provided or you can use just the box mod itself with a tank of your choice. The all-in-one tank system features mouth-to-lung or direct lung style coils, making this an extremely versatile set-up suited to beginners or the cloud and flavor chasers amongst you. The 2100mAh battery and 80W max means you can vape on a variety of tanks and coils without running out of power. As with all Vaporfi hardware you pay a premium, but receive a 30 day money back guarantee and 90 day warranty as well as top level US based customer support. If you aren’t happy with your purchase, just send it back! Whether you are new to vaping or looking for a new versatile vape mod set-up, the Vaporfi Vaio 80TC is the perfect choice for you.
- Wattage: 5-30W
- Battery: 2200mAh
- Resistance: 0.4ohm – 5.0 ohm
- Price: $34.49 – $49.99
The iStick 30W is the much improved mini vape mod over the original iStick 20W by Eleaf. The 30W comes with the ability to fire down to 0.4ohm, which means it will work with sub ohm tanks like the Kanger Subtank Mini and the Atlantis 2. For beginners you might not necessarily want to sub ohm vape, to begin with, but having the option of being able to do so, is a big positive with this mini box mod. The iStick 30W also comes with an additional 10Ws of power compared to the original 20W model.
It is a tiny box mod and well-priced at around $35. The added power on the iStick 30W and ability to sub ohm vape, means that the iStick 30W is a great choice for those looking for a tiny box mod that doesn’t cost the world.
Best 0 - 100W Box Mods
- Temperature control
- Removable 18650 battery
The Halo Reactor Shorty is a 75W vape mod, that is ideal for vapers looking for more power and battery life, but don’t want something that is large and clunky. The Halo Shorty features a removable 18650 battery making it easy to swap batteries once one dies. The Reactor Shorty vape mod kit comes with an 18650 battery as well as the Shorty Tank that provides flavor and clouds for days. The Shorty Tank can also be refilled from the top making refilling a piece of cake. The Shorty vape mod kit features temperature control allowing users to control the temperature of their vape. The kit also comes with a 30ml bottle of delicious Halo e-liquid!
- 84 mm x 50 mm
- Battery: 5000 mAh
- Warranty: 60 Days from Date of Purchase
The Halo Reactor Mega is likely the best vape mod for the sub-100 watt devices. Boasting a 5000 mAh internal battery, the Halo Reactor can power some of the most serious cloud-making atomizers, and without any fear of a battery losing power prematurely. It can’t be stressed enough how massive the capacity of this battery is. The capacity of the included battery of the Halo Reactor Mod cancels the need for carrying two mods throughout the day. Not only is the mod impressive with its features, looks and capacity, Halocigs backs up your purchase with a 60-day money back guarantee.
- Dimensions: 3-3/8`` x 1-3/4`` x 15/16`` (Without iSub V Tank)
- Spring-loaded Gold Plated Contact Pin
- Stainless Steel 510 Threads
- Battery Capacity: Built-in 3300mAh Battery
- Operating Wattage: 6.0 - 100.0 W
- Temperature Control: Nickel (Ni200)
- Titanium (Ti)
- Stainless Steel 316 (SS316)
- Temperature Range: 150-315°C / 300-600°F
- Minimum Resistance: 0.1ohm
- Recommend Resistance for TC Mode: Ni200 (0.1 - 0.2ohm)
- Ti (0.1 - 0.5ohm)
- SS316L (0.2 - 1.0ohm)
- Maximum Working Current: 30A
- Maximum Output Voltage: 7.5V
- Total T.C. Dry Hit Prevention & Quick Calibration.
- UltraFast response: .2 seconds from Click to Vapor!
- VDC power output with ClearWave noise cancellation.
- Precise Coil Resistance Reading (.00000).
- Uniform coil heating eliminates hotspots.
- 25 – 100W Temperature Control RampUp preBoost.
- 2AMP microUSB Quick Charge.
- Integrated charging safety protections.
- Ultra-low standby power consumption.
The Innokin CoolFire IV 100W TC is an advanced vape mod full of features that can accommodate virtually any wire-builds that vapers can throw at it. Featuring the Innokin-made AETHON chipset, the CoolFire IV has virtually no ramp-up time to heat your coils—it can do that up to 100 watts with kanthal in power mode, and in temp mode it can sense stainless steel (316L), Ni200, and even titanium.
The CoolFire IV is an affordable and advanced high-quality mod that not only has the look and feel of a quality unit, it functions as such. Innokin remains one of the top Chinese manufacturers for producing mods with little fault to their electronics, and The Innokin CoolFire 100W TC is no exception.
- Wattage Range: 1-70w
- Temperature control with Ni and Ti wire
- Ceramic Mode
- 4 mL l e-liquid capacity
The Atom Vapes Yakuza Mod is a single-18650 box mod with up to 70 watts of power, and it’s capable of 200-600F in TC. But that is not what sets this mod apart from the pack. Pairing down normally complicated interfaces with these types of advanced mods, the Yakuza simplifies all the excessive button-clicking into an entertaining, simple, and customizable interface–it’s advanced but easy to use. And the styling of the mod is eye-catching with its unique shape and contrasting button colors. Taking more of a creative approach to the look of the mod, The Yakuza vape mod comes with various decals (knowns as skin) allowing the user to individualize their mod.
- 20% Smaller than the LAVABOX DNA 200 Box Mod
- Powered by the DNA 75 Chipset from EVOLV
- Acrylic Glass Screen (more scratch resistant)
- Adjustable up to 75 Watts
- Variable Wattage/Voltage
- Temperature Control Capable with Ni200
- Titanium & Stainless Steel Coils
- Bright OLED Display
- EScribe Software Equipped
- Internal Charging Capable
- Preheat Feature in Temp Control Mode
- Upgradeable Firmware
- Powered by Single 18650 High Drain Battery (not included)
- 8 Customizable User Profiles
- Interchangeable Magnetic Battery Door
- Battery Monitoring
- Integrated 1A Charger
- Operating Modes:
- VW Mode – Voltage/Wattage
- TC Mode – Temp Control (Ni200
- Ti & SS 304/316/317)
- TCR Mode – Temperature Coefficient of Resistivity
- Protection Features:
- Material: High-Grade 6061 Aluminum Alloy
- Threading: 510 with Spring-loaded Center Pin
- Battery Door: Magnetic & Interchangeable
- Grip Color / Material: Stealth Black & Rubber-coated Polypropylene Plastic Shell
- Wattage Output: 1 Watt – 75 Watts
- Voltage Output: 0.2 Volts – 6.2 Volts
- Standard Resistance Range: 0.25 – 3.0 Ohms
- Temp Control Resistance Range: 0.15 – 1.0 Ohm
- Current Output (Continuous): 30 Amps
- Current Output (Instantaneous Peak): 40 Amps
Volcano Ecigs new slick-looking Lavabox M DNA75 is wonderfully engineered piece of equipment that houses one of the, if not the most advanced, chipsets ever released; the DNA 75. As an American-designed mod with a high-end chip, the Lavabox is heads above the rest with similar power output.
The Lavabox M is the follow-up release to the extremely popular Lavabox DNA 200. Like any e-cig mod, the Lavabox M can be used by anyone, but the Volcano Lavabox M is meant for hobbyist vapers that enjoy ultimate control, customization and pushing the limits of their vape.
Best 100-200W Box Mods
- Variable Wattage Range: 1.0w to 200.0w
- Battery: Internal 900 mAh 3S Lithium Polymer (2700 mAh 18650 Equivalent)
- Supports Nickel
- and Stainless Steel in Temperature Control
- Temperature Adjustment Range: 200°F-600°F/ 100°C-315°C
- Minimum Resistance 0.05 in Temperature Control and Wattage Mode
- Upgradeable firmware
- Customization via Escribe
- Low voltage protection
- Short circuit protection
- Low resistance protection
- Low battery warning
- USB charging capable
The Lavabox is an advanced box mod that uses Evolv’s most advanced chipset to date – the DNA 200. The Lavabox is capable of firing up to 200W in wattage mode and can also be used in temperature mode with a variety of different wires. The Lavabox is made by the Hawaiian firm Volcano e-cigs and is the best selling DNA200 mod on the market. It is a great looking box mod with a 900mAh 3 cell lipo. There is a also a 1300mAh battery extender pack available. The Lavabox is pretty small at just 46.19 mm x 28.15 mm x 94.87 mm. It also features a rubber grip, which comes in different colors. At $169.99 it is one of the more affordable DNA200s on the market and it also happens to be one of the most visually appealing.
- 200 Watts
- Evolv DNA200 Chip
- Triple 18650 Mod (Batteries Not Included)
- Ability To Customize With EScribe
- Genuine Leather Wrap On The Back Panel (Three Different Leather Styles)
- Spring Loaded 510 Connection
- Micro USB Port
- Reverse Polarity Protection
- Venting Slots
- Carefully Placed Operating Buttons
The Lost Vape Triade is another triple 18650 mod utilizing a popular form factor popularized by the Releaux series of mods by Wismec. The Lost Vape Triade DNA200 is just as amazing to use as the other DNA200 mods, but the Lost Vape Triade DNA200 allows for user-supplied batteries, vs. non-replaceable internal lipo batteries often associated with DNA boards.
- Powered by the new YiHi SX450J chip
- Dual 18650 battery device
- Maximum 200 watt output
- 16-bit ADC for resistance sampling
- Buck-boost & boost
- Output voltage: 1.0 volt – 9.5 volts
- Temperature range: 212 °F – 572 °F / 100 °C – 300 °C
- Resistance range: Power Mode: 0.05Ω – 3.0Ω | Joule Mode: 0.05Ω – 1.0Ω
- Supports all TC wire including Stainless Steel
- Titanium and Ni200
- Supports all atomizers with SX Pure technology
- Modes of operation : Powerful +|Powerful | Standard | Soft | Eco
- SXi-Q S1-S5
- Rotary display
- OLED screen
- On-board balanced charging for 2 batteries simultaneously at 2 amps
- Zinc alloy and stainless steel construction
- Replaceable covers
- Spring loaded 510 connector
- Customize your own logo and menu
- Intelligent taste control system via SXi-Q
- Upgradable firmware
- Protection features: Reverse polarity | Output short | Low resistance | Low battery voltage |Overheat & battery overcharge
- Height: 105 mm
- Width: 51 mm
- Thickness: 26 mm
The SXMini Q Class rightfully gets the nod for its wealth of functions, accuracy of electronics, beauty in its design, and its durability – the SX Mini Q Class is the epitome of high-quality mods! If a couple hundred dollars will not stand in your way of getting an advanced, top-quality piece of gear, the Q Class is the easy recommendation.
The Q Class is the next in line from the extremely well-built and meticulously designed SX Mini series of vape mods from Yihicigar. Departing from their normal single-battery configuration, Yihicigar engineered the SX Mini Q Class just as agile as their previous ML class, but Q Class has more than twice power!
- Dimensions: 50*40*84mm
- Requires (3) 18650 Batteries (Batteries Sold Separately)
- Wattage Range: 1W - 200W
- Temperature Range: 200°F - 600°F / 100°C - 315°C
- Resistance Range: 0.1Ω - 3.5Ω (VW Mode)|0.05Ω - 1.5Ω (TC Modes)
- Firing Modes: VW|TC-Ni|TC-Ti|TC-SS & TCR
- Large 0.96 Inch OLED Display
- Magnetic Battery Cover
- Unique Ergonomic Shape
- Spring Loaded 510 Pin
- Stainless Steel 510 Threads
- Upgradeable Firmware
- Reverse Polarity Protection
Next up from the Wismec and Jay-Bo, in their line of RX/Reuleaux vape mods, comes the RX200S. Keeping in step with the previous versions in the RX series, Wismec smartly kept the unique, hexagonal form factor – that houses three 18650s – making it one of the most powerful and popular families of mods released in the last year.
The performance of the RX200S is simply superb (just like the RX200). With upgradeable firmware, adjustable TCR, power on demand (up to 250 watts with an update), and the inexpensive price tag, it should be easy to imagine why this mod is wildly popular, but if you really want to understand, you have to use one.
- Size: 91 x 55 x 25 mm• Voltage Range: 0.35V–8V
- Power Range: 6W–220W
- Temp Range: 200F–600F/ 100°C–315°C
- Resistance Range: 0.06ohm–3.0ohm (TC mode)|0.1ohm–3ohm (VW mode)
- Battery: 2 x 18650 batteries (not included)
- Material: Zinc Alloy
- Micro TFV4 Tank
- Size: 22 x 47mm
- Capacity: 2.5ml / 3.5ml
- Material: Glass and Stainless Steel
- Thread: 510
- Max 220W power
- TC/VW Modes
- Red Triangle design
- Magnetic battery cover
- Adjustable Initial Resistance
- Easy to read OLED display
- Ergonomic Design
- Multiple Protections
- Intelligent atomizer recognition
- Puff monitoring system
- 12 seconds cut-off
- Short circuit protection
- Over-heat protection
- Low battery Warning
The SMOK H-Priv 220W TC box mod is SMOK’s answer to all the high-wattage vape mods. The H-Priv is SMOK’s powerhouse! For a dual-18650 box mod, it puts out incredible power in both watts mode or in TC, and it does it with style. Opting for a unique and easy-to-use firing bar that spans the entire height of the mod.
The SMOK H-Priv 220W TC ensures that no one will ever have to fumble around trying to a small firing button. In essence, if you are holding the mod, you are in the correct posting to fire it. The H-Priv 220W TC looks like a beauty but it performs like a beast.
Best AIO Box Mods
- Dimensions: 105 x 48 x 26 millimeters
- Output Modes: Variable wattage|Temperature control|Bypass
- Temperature Control Mods: Nickel|Titanium|316 stainless steel|TCR
- Wattage Range: 1-75 watts
- Resistance Range (Temperature Control): 0.05-1.5 ohms
- Resistance Range (Variable Wattage/Bypass): 0.1-3.5 ohms
- E-liquid Capacity: 3.5 milliliters
- Compatibility With Cubis Atomizer Heads
- Colors: Black|Silver
The Evic AIO is Joyetech’s latest vape mod with an all-in-one capability. The Evic AIO, much like the Aspire Plato, comes with different coil heads capable of either mouth-to-lung (MTL) or direct lung (DL) vaping. The Evic AIO uses the same coil heads as the Cubis range of tanks, giving vapers a massive selection to choose from. The Evic AIO kit itself comes with a generous 4 different coil types to get you started. This AIO vape mod can be vaped in wattage mode up to 75W and can vape several different wire types in temperature control mode. The top fill and top airflow on the Evic AIO are designed specifically to make this a leak free mod. This extremely versatile device is a great choice for vapers looking for a vape mod that covers all the bases.
- Temperature Control
- Height: 100mm (With Drip Tip)
- Width: 50mm
- 6ML Juice Capacity
- Two Juice Ports
- Adjustable Airflow
- Updatable Firmware
- Available in a variety of colours
The Aspire Plato all-in-one (AIO) vaping system is a compact vape mod capable of mouth-to-lung and sub ohm (direct lung) vaping. The Plato features a large 4.5ml e-liquid tank and can be easily refilled using the easy-fill system. The Plato 0.4ohm coils provide users with ample flavor and vapor, much like the Aspire Cleito tank. The Plato AIO vape kit also includes an 18650 battery, a great addition that you do not often see included in vape kits. This Plato is aimed at vapers looking for a handy vape mod that can do it all and includes everything to get you started. Its versatility means vapers can switch between different vaping styles depending on their preference.
Best Squonk Box Mods
- Dimensions: 4-3/4`` x 2`` x 1`` (Including Subdrip 160 RBA)
- Includes the Subdrip 160 RBA and Dripbox 160 Mod
- 22mm Diameter
- Bottom Feeding Design
- Juice Delivery System
- Temperature Control
- Top-Fill Option
- Variable Wattage Output: 7.0 - 160.0W
- Temperature Control : Ni200 / Ti / SS / Ni-Chrome
- Temperature Control Range: 100 - 315C / 200 - 600F
- Resistance: 0.05 ohm or above for Ni/ Ti/ SS Wire
- Resistance: 0.10 ohm or above for Ni-chrome Wire
- 7ml e-Liquid Capacity
- Velocity Style Base for Rebuildable Coils
- Use pre-built 0.2ohm drip coils or build your own
- Subdrip 160 RBA - Stainless Steel Casing
- Dripbox 160 - Zinc Alloy Casing
- Requires (2) 18650 High Amp Batteries (Sold Separately)
- Micro USB Charging Port
- *External charger recommended for faster charging speeds*
- Low Resistance Protection
- Low Battery Warning Indicator
- High Temperature Protection
The Kanger Dripbox 160 is a “squonk” kitthat comes with a dual-18650 160-watt box mod, and a 22 mm RDA meant for squonking. A squonk mod or bottom-feeder mod is an e-cig mod that houses a bottle of e-liquid supply onboard and allows you to directly feed e-liquid into the atomizer. The Kanger Dripbox 160 has a similar body shape to the RX200S, but instead of three 18650 batteries, the space that could be designated for a third battery houses a bottle of eliquid. With a simple squeeze of that bottle, the RDA’s coils will get saturated with e-liquid as it’s delivered up through a tube inside the mod and it saturates the coils to the. For lovers of RDAs, this system allows you to vape like you have a vape tank, but with the control and flavor of an RDA.
- Removable and Replaceable Door Panels
- Access the Squonk Bottle and Battery
- 8ml Squonk Bottle
- Rounded Door Cutout for Squonk Access
- 6063 T6 Aluminum Chassis
- Bright Dip Anodized
- Light and Durable
- Precision Milled Stainless Steel Buttons
- Ultra Responsive and High Surface
- Rounded for More Tactility
- Stainless Steel 510 Connection
- Squonk Ready 510
- 900 mAh FullyMax 3 Cell LiPo
- 10W Hour
- XT30 Connection
- Allows for the removal and servicing of battery
- Solder Free
- 22mm Diameter
- Squonk Ready
- Gold Plated Hollow 510 Connection
- Solid 510 Connection Included
- Two 8ml Squonk Bottles Included
- Two Post Build Deck
- Single Slot Terminal Per Post
- 2.5mm by 1.5mm Each
- Wide Area Phillips Screws
- 4mm Deep Juice Well
- PEEK Insulators
- Dual Slotted Adjustable Airflow
- 9mm by 1.5mm Each Airslot
- Single Coil Compatible
- Adjusted by Knurled Top Cap
- High Sloped Flavor Condensing Chamber
- Three Drip Tip Options
- Delrin and Steel Drip Tip
- Full Delrin Drip Tip
- 12mm Bore Competition Delrin Top Cap
- 304 Stainless Steel Construction
- Trim and Compact Look
The Halcyon by Lost Vape is a bonified high-end squonk vape mod kit. Whether it’s the beautiful craftsmanship to the body of the device or the heralded DNA200 board: from top to bottom, this is a system meant for the serious vaper!
Lost Vape did not skimp on the design of the Malestrom RDA, either. On its own, the Malestrom is a good RDA, but as a squonk RDA it’s even better. No need to drip. Just squonk. And with the 8 mL empty eliquid bottle for squonking, you can get your RDA vape on without ever needing to drip. So if you are not pressed for cash and are looking for a high-quality squonk kit, this is it!
- 5mL Juice Reservoir
- Single High-Amp 18650 Battery – Not Included
- Maximum Wattage Output: 80W
- Temperature Control Range: 200-600F
- All-In-One Design – Rebuildable Squonker-Style Platform
- Versatile Temperature Control Module
- Premium Zinc Alloy Construction
- Rubberized Paint Finish
- Stunning Carbon Fiber Inlay
- Soft Curvature Design
- Intuitive OLED Display
- Bottom-Loaded Battery Cover Design
- Bottom-Feed Juice Design
- Squeeze Juice Section for Dripping
- 510 Connection
- 23 mm Diameter
- Superior Stainless Steel Construction
- Velocity-Style Design
- Deck-milled Negatives
- PEEK Insulators
- Single or Dual Configurations
- Fully Adjustable Airflow Control
- Turbine Curved Widebore Drip Tip
- Squonk-Ready Hollow Center Pin
- 510 Connection
Council of Vapor has joined that squonk world with its Wraith Squonker Kit. Included in the kit is the 80-watt TC single-18650 Wraith squonk mod and the Wraith bottom-fed RDA. In comparison to the Kanger Dripbox 160, CoV’s Wraith squonk system is rock solid in both wattage and temp control modes, is ergonomically and aesthetically more pleasing, and has a hinged bottom door for the bottle and battery that’s altogether better than the Kanger design.
Best Compact Box Mods
- 1 Vaporizer (5-40W)
- 1 Tank
- 1 Standard Atomizer (1.2 Ω)
- 1 Sub Ohm Atomizer (0.8 Ω)
- 1 USB Charging Cord
- 1 User Manual
The brand new Vapor2 Trinity kit is V2’s exciting entry into the box mod market. The Vapor2 kit features a compact ergonomically designed 40W box mod coupled with a 2ml vape tank (comes with 0.8 and 1.2ohm coils). The box mod itself is one of the smallest on the market, but still feels sturdy and extremely well built. The tank can be refilled easily from the top by removing the delrin top cap. The Vapor2 is perfect for vapers looking for a compact, portable box mod and tank set-up that isn’t bulky, but still chucks clouds with huge amounts of flavor.
- Dimensions: 58*36.5*24mm
- Wattage Range: 5.0W - 40W
- Temperature Range: 200°F - 600°F / 100°C - 315°C
- Resistance Range: 0.15Ω - 5.0Ω (VW)|0.1Ω - 1.0Ω (VT)
- Voltage Range: 0.0V - 9.0V
- Internal Lithium 1400mAh Battery
- Zinc Alloy & Stainless Steel Construction
- 0.49inch OLED Display
- Output Modes: VW|TC(Ni/TiSS)|TCR
- Mini Design
The Target Mini by Vaporesso is yet another well-built ultra-compact vape mod. The Target Mini comes only as part of a kit, which includes the Guardian tank, capable of both sub ohm and mouth-to-lung vaping. The Guardian tank features Vaporesso’s impressive cCell ceramic coil heads, which are full of flavor and known for their longevity. The Target Mini features a 1400mAh battery giving it a respectable battery life for such an ultra-compact vape mod. The Target Mini is also capable of vaping Ni200, Stainless Steel and Titanium coil heads in temperature control mode. If you are looking for a pocket box mod starter kit that can vape both mouth-to-lung and direct lung (sub ohm) then the Vaporesso Mini is an superb choice.
- 1200mAh Battery Capacity
- Dimensions: 35mm * 22mm * 56mm
- Wattage Output Range: 5~40W
- Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.2ohm
- Carbon Fiber Grip
- Premium Rubberized Paint Coat
- Ultra-Compact Size
- Three Ramp Modes: Soft|Standard and Power
- Intuitive LED Display
- Micro-USB Port
- 510 Connection
- Available in Black|Gunmetal|Red|White
The Mini Volt V2 by Council of Vapor builds on the success of the highly popular Mini Volt V1. The Mini Volt V2 measures a minuscule 56mm by 35mm by 22mm, yet features an improved 1200mAh battery life, faster charging rate, whilst retaining its fetching looks with that gorgeous carbon fiber chassis. The internal chipset has also had a major upgrade and the Mini Volt V2 can be charged in just 90 minutes. The vastly improved features over the original, its compact size and carbon fiber body make this a compact vape mod that is hard to resist.
Vape Mods Explained
What is a Vape Mod?
A vape mod is a power source, essentially a case that contains one or more rechargeable batteries, that supplies electricity to a vaping atomizer. They are also referred to as “vapor mods”. The term “mod” has its origins in the early years of e-cigs, where hobbyist vapers “modified” existing electrical hardware (cases, batteries, wiring, etc.) for custom use as vaping hardware. Now all e-cig power sources are called mods. Box mods are one of two primary types of power sources, with tube mods being the other. (Tube mods vary from small disposable “cig-a-likes,” some with fused atomizers to large cylinders with screw-on connectors for external atomizers.) Almost universally, box mods have a firing switch or button. Press the switch, and the atomizer gets power from the mod and “fires,” vaporizing eliquid with the instantly heated coil. Release the button, and the power is cut off.
Different Types of Box Mods
Box mods come in different designs, configurations, and aesthetics. They may be constructed with fixed internal LiPo batteries that recharge via USB cables or with removable Li-Ion batteries that can be recharged either via USB or outside the mod in a dedicated charger. The majority of USB-recharged box mods allow vaping while charging (called “passthrough”), but not all. Removable battery vape mods allow the user to “swap out” drained batteries for fresh, fully-charged batteries. Both types are popular and available.
A box mod with removable batteries may incorporate one to four rechargeable Li-Ion batteries, although one or two is most common.
Typically, box mods have a rectangular shape, but this varies from regular boxes with sharp, straight angles to more ergonomic and aesthetic curved designs.
Box Mods can use any of various regulating chips/boards that vary from providing simple safety protections to more sophisticated functions, such as variable wattage output and temperature control. The second type usually has a display screen that shows information about the settings and functions. Some box mods are designed and made with no chips at all, and occasionally even no soldered wiring, in which case they’re called “mechanical mods.”
Vape mods (or vapor mods) are made in many sizes and every conceivable design. Materials include plastic, metal, and wood. Colors range from basic black or silver through the entire spectrum, and from simple monochromatic adornment to beautiful works of art.
Most vaping hardware qualifies as “disposable,” and this includes box mods. Few are designed and manufactured to last forever in actual use. Lifespan varies wildly, from a couple months before they break or stop working to many years of faithful, dependable service.
Which Vape Mod is Right for you?
Choosing a the best vape mod for you requires answering numerous questions about your preferences:
- How much power do I want?
- How large (or small) do I want my box mod to be?
- How important to me are the ergonomics and aesthetics of my box mod?
- How much sophisticated chip technology do I want?
- How long can I vape between battery recharges?
- How much am I willing to spend?
There’s likely to be a box mod available in the marketplace for every combination of responses, so finding the best vape mod to fit your preferences shouldn’t be too difficult
What are Temperature Controlled Vape Mods?
Vaping began in 2005 by using fixed voltage power sources exclusively. Around 2011, variable voltage was developed, followed quickly by variable power (wattage).
Temperature control followed on the heels of those earlier improvements. Temp Control (or TC) is the most recent technological development in vaping chips that emerged initially in 2014 and has quickly become an industry standard feature of most mods.
Atomizers operate by vaporizing e-liquid with a metal heating element, usually in the form of coiled alloy wire. E-liquid is supplied (or “wicked”) to the atomizer by silica, cotton, or other fibrous cellulose material that goes through or around the coil or coils. If the wick is not sufficiently saturated with e-liquid, the result is “dry hits.” A dry hit not only produces no vapor, but tastes terrible, with either a nasty burnt wick taste or an even more unpleasant hot metallic aftertaste.
Also, unregulated e-cig mods perform less efficiently as the battery/batteries drain. What starts out as a great-tasting full vape with fresh batteries diminishes over time, providing less flavor and vapor.
Temperature control addresses both those problems by regulating and controlling the amount of power supplied to the coil. When the coil is not “bathed” sufficiently in e-liquid, it quickly overheats, producing dry hits. Temp control technology doesn’t actually sense temperature — instead, it monitors the changing resistance of the coil, which corresponds to predictable changes in temperature. When the coil begins to overheat, the temp control chip instantly reduces the power, thus preventing the wick from burning and minimizing or eliminating dry hits. If the coil becomes totally dry, power will be completely cut off.
In addition, temp control provides a consistent vape throughout the power range of the battery drain.
Most temp control vape mods currently require atomizers to be outfitted with coils using one of three specific wire types — nickel, titanium, or stainless steel. As the technology is improved and refined, however, other wire types, such as Kanthal, Nichrome, or even Tungsten, may be usable with TC.
TC lets the vaper specify the maximum temperature allowed before temp protection (i.e., instant voltage limitation) activates. The range is typically from 100-300° Centigrade, or 300-600° Fahrenheit. As much power is applied as necessary to maintain the set temperature, but no more.
Temp control has not been universally adopted by vapers. Those who use TC tend to swear by it, but many other vapers use TC only sporadically or not at all. Since most mods now contain regulating chips, however, and since it’s no more expensive for manufacturers to include temp control technology in their chips, TC has largely taken over the vape mod marketplace.